Monday 7 July 2014

History of Life, an educational software by Stephen Rickard by Ransom publishing

I was one of those nerds who saved my pocket money to buy books, encyclopedias and educational CD's instead of wasting it on other things. Every time I had enough money in my money saver I used to go to Sapna Book stores to buy a book or an educational CD or an encyclopedia.

I was in my high school when I bought the History of Life educational software from the makers of the History of the Universe and it completely changed my thinking style.


History of Life is a wonderful interactive software for high school students consisting of a recorded background voice who takes you through different sections of the software and makes learning evolution fun and enjoyable with humor at the right time.

It really made me enjoy the life sciences and sparked an interest in it very early in my career. I think this is how we have to teach science to students rather than enforcing them with loads of theories where in which students just try to read and memorize them for the sake of passing the exams instead of developing individual critical thinking.


The History of Life, an educational software by Stephen Rickard by Ransom publishing.

  
The History of Life CD-ROM for Windows by Jagaur Educational




Some of the interesting biologists and thinkers and their ideas explained in the software are.


1. Steven Pinker




2. Noam Chomsky


3. Richard Dawkins (The Selfish Gene theory)




4. John Maynard Smith (The guy who applied game theory to evolutionary biology)




5. Stephan J Gould


6. James Lovelock (The Gaia hypothesis)





The sooner students learn evolution the sooner they begin to acknowledge that evolution by natural selection is a fact rather than being a die hard creationist. I though have come a long way in my research and it is this individual thinking which has helped me to reach where I am now.

No comments :

Post a Comment