Monday 6 December 2021

The Legacy of J.B. Lightfoot

In my about me section I have referenced a work from J.B Lightfoot where he explains about the 'Meaning of the word Pleroma'. Now many would think I must be a fool to reference the work of J.B. Lightfoot (who was a Catholic) when he has vehemently criticized the Gnostics and the Valentinians in the same work. 

The Legacy of J.B. Lightfoot speaks for itself (See below Video). This is the reason why I have referenced the work of J.B. Lightfoot even though he criticizes the Valentinians and disagrees with them in the same text. The reason being the way he was able to articulate about the meaning of the word Pleroma. At least, J.B. Lightfoot had the sympathy to explain about his opponents view point and did some justice and gave benefit of doubt to Valentinus. J.B. Lightfoot deserves respect and I do respect him for his works. 

Also, a person's birth place, cultural milieu during his birth time, his upbringing does influence what views and beliefs one will adhere onto in their life. For example: Majority of Gods worshipped by Hindus are not mentioned in the Vedas and yet I do have to worship them for the sake of my families and relatives. Who knows what would have been J.B Lightfoot's views if Valentinus had become the first bishop of Rome.

What are we supposed to do other than referencing the works from our detractors when you (Orthodox Christians) guys have persecuted us (Valentinians)? At least I have not referenced a work from Irenaeus or Tertullian. 


No comments :

Post a Comment